Thursday, April 21, 2011


      Technology based rubrics seem to be very effective when they are given prior to actual due date. I currently have a problem with one instructor that gave me my presentation rubric already graded after I had already presented...I felt that it was useless to me at that point. I also was upset that the rubric had specific numbers for example: 0, 5 and 1o typed on the sheet and the instructor wrote in the number 9! Why have specific numbers to choose from if he was going to write in a number of his choice? I feel that rubrics should be concrete standards that are followed consistently by the instructor. In my future classroom I will provide a fair rubric prior to the due date and follow the rubric, unless it needs to be amended for the benefit of my students. The technology based rubrics for this class are a great example of what an effective rubric should look like.
     I love clicker assessments! We received a whole set of clickers for our promethean board at work and I have not had the opportunity to use them, but I hope I learn how to soon. I remember using them in my high school physics class. It was quite fun, even though some students always blurted out the answer. Clickers are fun and fast, teachers can instantly check the classes understanding in a couple of clicks. Clicker assessments would probably be something I would do after a read aloud, to assess their comprehension.
     I remember using Kidspiration and Inspiration during my public school days and we mainly used it for brainstorming and organizing. My science teachers would let us organize life cycles. The rain cycle was also a popular subject to use with Kidspiration. Later in high school we would organize our thesis and body paragraphs in english class with this software, before we finalized our papers.

Citation:
Jonassen, David, Howland, Jane, Marra, Rose, and Crismond, David. (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. 217-39. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you about rubrics being concrete. The rubric will be completely useless if the guidelines on which it is written are not followed. This results in both the student and the teacher being frustrated. I know that when I have my own class, a rubric will be an invaluable tool that will be given BEFORE the assignment is turned in. Students deserve an opportunity to get the best possible grade. We are paving the road to success, not creating the road less traveled.

    ReplyDelete